Youth Discoveries – The Road to Summerfolk
Are you a musician between the ages of 14-22?
Do you write and play original music?
Do you wish to play at a Music Festival but aren’t sure how to make it happen?
Well, Youth Discoveries – The Road To Summerfolk is exactly what you’re looking for! Time to get on the road to Summerfolk! This is an amazing opportunity to be heard and seen by an international crowd.
What is Youth Discoveries – The Road to Summerfolk?
- The Youth Discoveries Program was created to give musicians between the ages of 14- 22 the experience of playing a major folk festival. It also helps to foster a sense of community amongst the up and coming!
- Each performer/group has 12-15 minutes maximum to highlight the following
- Songwriting/compositional originality or repertoire choice/musical proficiency
- Musical ability – including lyrical content
- On-Stage presence
- Interaction with Audience
- Winners from preliminary rounds advance to the Discoveries finale showcase in Owen Sound. Judges’ feedback regarding your performance for all participants will be available should they be interested.
- Finale Showcase will be streamed online live by OrchardTV! (Accessible opportunities for fans/friends and family to see your finale performance just got bigger friends!)
- Five acts are selected from the Finale Showcase to perform at the Summerfolk Music & Crafts Festival…
But wait! There’s more… What more could there be? Well, tons more! Take a look at this list of goodies we’ve cooked up for the Finale Winners!
- Concerts! Playing at Summerfolk during a featured Youth Discoveries Showcase on Friday night at the Down by the Bay Tent and other workshop and concert opportunities throughout the entire weekend.
- Radio/Media Opportunities! Live Streaming of the Finale by Orchard TV! Exclusive interview on Georgian Bay Roots Radio and 92.3 The Dock! Exclusive interview with Rob Leonard of Our Community Corner on Rogers TV!
- Exclusive Youth Discoveries Workshops at Summerfolk! Musical workshop opportunities during Summerfolk, including a networking/mentoring workshop with some of the Main Stage performers at Summerfolk! And maybe most importantly, the Mini Business of Music Workshop! A workshop highlighting key areas of the Music Business that will help any musician in their career!
- Camping Accommodations provided to winners for the weekend of the festival – right beside the festival in our exclusive campground normally reserved for volunteers. But we wanna hang with you lots – so we made space just for you!
- Oh and last – but certainly not least! Winners get paid! Like really paid – with cold hard cash… (OK not really with cash… but with cheque – which is just as good – ‘cause we need to appease our accountants – but you get the point!)
Showcase 2018 dates include:
March 4th – London Music Hall, London
March 11th – Marsh Street Centre, Clarksburg
March 18th – The Supermarket, Toronto
March 23rd – FINALE – The Roxy, Owen Sound
Can’t make it to one of these Preliminaries because you live too far away? Well, thanks to the wonders of technology – we’ve got an option for you!
Video entries are being accepted this year! Submissions must be received no later than February 23, 2018 and results will be broadcasted live via OrchardTV on Sunday February 25, 2018. Scroll down for the details of video submission requirements. (By the way – you still need to sign up below as well!)
The finale will be on Friday March 23, 2018 at the Roxy Theatre in Owen Sound. Doors 6:30pm, showcase begins at 7:00pm.
So how do you sign up for this?
- Fill in the application here. Oh and don’t waste time – spots fill up fast and you don’t wanna miss this opportunity!
See you on the Road to Summerfolk!
Video Submission Requirements for Youth Discoveries – The Road to Summerfolk 2018
To participate, you must be available to attend the live Finale Showcase on March 23, 2018 in Owen Sound, ON. Video submissions will not be accepted for the Finale Showcase.
You also need to fill out an application for the competition (available here if you missed it on the main page)
Here are the minimum requirements for your submission:
- The video needs be HD quality with excellent sound and video.
- The video needs to showcase the musicians in a live recording of the performances.
- The video needs include 2 original songs.
- Be sure to include a brief verbal introduction of yourself or group including members. As well as a verbal description of the song title and any brief comments that you’d like to share about each song.
- Imagine you’re right in front of the judges and you have 12 minutes… make them count!