At 1pm on Sunday January 20th, The Georgian Bay Folk Society will host its second annual curated open showcase at Heartwood Concert Hall in Owen Sound. Nine acts from across Ontario will have the opportunity to perform a 15 minute set knowing that James Keelaghan – the Artistic Director of the Summerfolk Music and Crafts Festival – is in the audience. Admission is by donation for audience members and all after-cost expenses will go directly to the musicians.
“The best way for an Artistic Director to decide whether an act will be a good fit for a festival is to see them live but there are so many acts out there that it’s hard for an AD to see them all,” said Jon Farmer, a long time Summerfolk volunteer and showcase organizer. “We wanted to make it easier for James to see musicians in person and at the same time give those musicians a chance to develop a local audience in the process”.
The line-up for Sunday’s event includes local Grey Bruce artists as well as bands from as far away as Orangeville and Hamilton. Musicians applied online during December and the organizers worked with Keelaghan to select performers of interest. There is no guarantee that any of the acts will be booked for Summerfolk 2019 although two acts from the 2018 show case made it on to the festival line up last year.
This year the show case will feature:
The Great Canadian Swampstompers
SEA and Robert Menzies
Long Range Hustle
Piper & Carson
Shipyard Kitchen Party
Kamden Arlie Gillespie
Doors will open at 12:30pm and the music will run from 1:00 – 4:00pm with two short intermissions. Entry will be on a first come basis but Farmer said that the recent increase in Heartwood Hall’s capacity will let them share great music with even more people.
The Georgian Bay Folk Society (GBFS) is seeking applications for the position of Artistic Director’s Assistant. Applicants must be students returning to full time studies in the fall of 2016. The successful applicant will work under the direction of the Artistic Director and Promotions Coordinator to fulfill various duties including but not limited to:
• coordinating, collecting, and managing logistics and information related to performer orientation packages and accommodations
• liaising with performers, hospitality volunteers, and technical crews
• co-managing social media accounts and promotions
• distributing promotional materials
• other tasks as assigned within the GBFS office
• tasks as assigned at the Summerfolk Music and Crafts Festival
The successful applicant will:
• be highly motivated, organized, self-directed, and flexible
• be fully fluent and literate in English
• have a strong working knowledge of word processing and spreadsheet software
• be familiar with various social media platforms
• be comfortable working and communicating with volunteers, members of the public, and the GBFS team
• have a valid driver’s license
• be passionate about music
• work well in fast changing and busy environments
Preference will be given to applicants who:
• are bilingual
• have previous event coordination experience
• have graphic design experience
• have a vehicle
The Artistic Director’s Assistant position will run from June 29th – August 24th, 2016 working flexible hours that total to an average of 30hrs/week.
The Georgian Bay Folk Society is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage all interested applicants to submit resumes and cover letters electronically to email@example.com with the subject line “Artistic Director’s Assistant Application” before June 6th. Only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.